Twenty-four hours to have your say on National’s new tertiary education law

Posted By TEU on Jun 22, 2017 | 2 comments

There are only 24 hours left to have your say on a new law that will funnel public money into private, profit-making tertiary education institutions.

It takes less than three minutes to make a submission to the Select Committee of MPs considering the law change – and the TEU has provided everything you need.

More than 1,800 people have so far written to the Select Committee urging them to reject changes that would require all future Ministers to give the exact same funding to private institutions as they do to public ones.

Sandra Grey, TEU national president, explained that “in reality, what this means is a significant transfer of public funds away from public institutions into private companies who are more concerned with profit than providing quality education.”

The TEU’s campaign to keep tertiary education public has been travelling around the country speaking to staff and students about the impact this would have on public, locally focused teaching and learning.

TEU members have been working tirelessly writing letters, drafting hundreds of submissions to the Select Committee and hosting numerous public meetings.

Students and staff have expressed a range of concerns with the changes outlined in the law. That the profit motive will distort tertiary education; that a reduction in funding to public institutions is likely and that this will threaten provision for some communities; and that entrenching National’s failed market experiment in law will impact on the quality of teaching and student support.

“With 24 hours to go before public submissions close, now is the time to make a difference. If the Select Committee hear from enough of us that tertiary education must stay public, local, and focused on learning, not profit, they’ll have no choice but to listen,” Grey said.

Yesterday, the Select Committee started hearings on the law change, before public submissions have even closed. Grey said this was indicative of National’s intention to push this change in before the election.

Submissions close tomorrow, Friday 23 June. Take a few minutes to fill out a submission on the TEU website and we will get it to the Select Committee.

Also in Tertiary Update this week:

1. Timaru let down by National’s tertiary education approach
  2. Otago university confirms plans to cut 13 jobs
  3. Another for-profit provider found plagiarising
  4. Additional funding announced for industry training
  5. New international student wellbeing strategy offers little

Other news

Lincoln University has published a ‘Strategic Options’ report to inform the strategic direction of the university – Lincoln

Private provider ACG Education has agreed to purchase Intueri’s seven New Zealand vocational colleges – ACG

A University of Auckland study shows that the average medical student debt has increased by $20,000 in the last 10 years – Stuff

Education New Zealand has published the May 2017 Student Visa Dashboard – ENZ

2 Comments

1. I am totally against privatization of any of the Education sector.
    I consider I had excellent tutoring as a graduate from Canterbury University and Christchurch Teachers College. I have been a student at The Correspondence School and have spent 17 years as student at tertiary institutions.
    My experience with private providers is rather dismal. The correspondence course I undertook was out of date. The marking was unhelpful. Assignments were either ticked or crossed and no comment made or advice given. Return of assignments was slow and I had the distinct impression that once they had my money they hoped I would drop out. After I complained to the authorities the course was withdrawn.
    I was the principal of a large primary school so I had a very good idea of what were good standards of instruction. The private institution was the worst example of teaching I had seen in my long career.
    Roger Allen B.A. DipTeaching

Post a Reply
    • Hi Roger,

I am 100% in agreement with Roger. I have worked in PTEs they have no ethics and do not care for Quality education they are just for Profit and Profit…

Post a Reply

What are your thoughts?