Te Toi Ahurangi

Posted By TEU on Aug 5, 2009 |

Contact: Lee Cooper, Te Pou Tuarā, (04) 801-4794, 021 533-410, and lee.cooper@teu.ac.nz

TEU has a national rūnanga, te toi ahurangi, which has responsibility and mana Māori motuhake for the management of all matters Māori and represents the interests of tāngata Māori in Te Tiriti o Waitangi partnership.  Te toi ahurangi provides advice to the council and/or annual conference on issues of concern to Māori, and organises Māori members at the national and local branch levels ensuring that the union is representing the interests of Māori members in governance, policy, and industrial spheres.

Te toi ahurangi comprises te kāhui kaumātua (who guide, support, and provide a korowai of mātauranga Māori, tikanga, and kawa); te tumu arataki, Māori vice-president (who chairs the committee meetings); two tumu āwhina (who are members of council); the national president; four Māori academics; four Māori general staff; one wānanga representative; and one Māori women’s representative.  Its members include:

Te Kāhui Kaumātua

Whaea Kāterina Daniels

Whaea Kāterina Daniels

PO Box 11-767, Wellington 6142 | 04 801-4794

Kāterina Daniels is of Te Arawa and Tūwharetoa descent. Kāterina is a woman of great value to Te Arawa; brought up in Whakarewarewa with famous guides she has seen the effects of tourism on her people. Kāterina attended an all-girls Māori College, Hāto Hohepa.  Katerina began as a school teacher and has taught in many institutions throughout New Zealand.  Most of her teaching life was spent in Te Waipounamu where she lived and is married to Montero Daniels.  She has also been an actress and travelled the world extensively and supports women’s health and well being issues.  She wears her moko kauae with pride.  We are proud to have her as one of the kuia for and life member of TEU Te  Hautū Kahurangi o Aotearoa

Whaea Mere Broughton

Whaea Mere Broughton, QSM

PO Box 11-767, Wellington 6142 | 04 801-4794 | tetoiahurangi@teu.ac.nz

Te Ātiawa, Ngāti Awa, Tūhoe, Ngāpuhi, Te Arawa, me Kahungunu

Whaea Mere was born in Hastings and raised by her mother’s people, Ngāti Awa, in Te Teko and Kawerau and she attended schools in those towns.  She trained and worked as a maternity nurse at Whakatāne Hospital.

She is an experienced orator, teacher, tutor and renowned for her expertise in the oral arts, in particular the karanga, and has trained many whānau and hapū throughout Taranaki whānui the art of karanga and waiata.

Whaea Mere’s own involvement with tertiary education began in the late 1970s, when she, with Hēmi Reniti, became voluntary kaiako in Te Reo Māori and tikanga for international students.  During this time Whaea Mere’s experience of the health system also saw her continue her work as a passionate advocate and practitioner of Māori health initiatives in medical and psychiatric areas in the Wellington region.

In the early 1980s Whaea Mere became involved in the development and establishment of Te Herenga Waka Marae at Victoria University – along with Te Huirangi Waikerepuru, and the late Ruka Broughton and Wiremu Parker.

Through the early 1990s, along with Mānuka Hēnare, Haupai Puke, Jonathan Mane-Wheoki, and others, Whaea Mere served on the executive of, and eventually became kuia for, Te Matawhānui, the Māori staff association at Victoria University.  In 1993 the (then) recently-formed Association of University Staff met formally with Te Matawhānui and it was decided that Te Matawhānui representatives would attend AUS Council meetings and Annual Conference.

Three years later AUS appointed its first ever Māori Vice-President, and soon afterwards Te Kahurangi Whāiti, the Māori caucus of AUS, was officially launched at Te Herenga Waka marae.  From 1998 to 2008 Whaea Mere served as kuia for both AUS and Te Kahurangi Whāiti.  Along the way she also spent periods as kuia for two other major unions, the PSA and the SFWU.  Since 2008 she has been one of the three kaumātua for our new Tertiary Education Union, Te Hautū Kahurangi o Aotearoa.

Whaea Mere’s voluntary community work and marae/iwi involvement including education, health, and justice – to name a few – in the Wellington region, particularly Hutt Valley, was recognised formally by the Hutt City Council in 1999 with a presentation of a Civic Honour Award.  In 2001 she was awarded the Queen’s Service Medal for Community Service.  In 2009 Creative New Zealand presented Whaea Mere with the Tā Kīngi Ihaka Award in recognition of a lifetime contribution to the development and retention of Māori arts and culture.

Dr Te Huirangi Waikerepuru

Dr Te Huirangi Waikerepuru

PO Box 11-767, Wellington 6142 | 04 801-4794 | tg.aotearoa@hotmail.co.nz

Tāngahoe, Ngāti Ruanui, Ngā Rauru, Ngā Ruahine Rangi, Taranaki, me Ngāpuhi ngā iwi.

Dr Waikerepuru is tauheke for TEU Te Hautū Kahurangi o Aotearoa where he is a life member and council member with more than 20 years experience in the ITP sector.  Currently Dr Waikerepuru is Ahorangi for the Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki.

He is a great orator, fierce opponent, and repository of Māori language, cultural, and customs.  He is a visionary with in-depth knowledge of te ao tawhito as well as an understanding and appreciation of contemporary issues facing whānau, hapū, and iwi.

His history of fighting for the rights of Māori is legendary and he was instrumental in lodging the Te Reo Māori Claim, Wai 11, with the Waitangi Tribunal and later taking the claim to the Privy Council.  The claim focused on the need for government to officially recognise te reo Māori as a taonga under Te Tiriti o Waitangi.  The end result was the Māori Language Act 1987 which later led to the establishment of the Māori broadcasting funding agency, Te Māngai Pāho, and more recently, Māori Television.

In 1995, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by Waikato University, acknowledging his achievements in both tertiary education and with te reo Māori revitalisation, including the regeneration of the distinct regional dialect of Taranaki.

[/toggle_container]

Te Tumu Arataki

James (Hēmi) Houkāmau

James (Hēmi) Houkāmau

James (Hēmi) HoukāmauWhitireia NZ Polytechnic, Te Pokapū Hiranga, PO Box 50910, Wellington
04 237-3100 | 021 556 361 | james.houkamau@whitireia.ac.nz

Ngāti Porou/Te Whānau a Tūwhakairiora

Tēnā tātou i roto i ngā āhuatanga o te wā.  Tēnā hoki tātou i ō tātou tini mate, ngā mate kei te wā kāinga, me ngā mate kei te whenua.  Tangihia ō tātou mate katoa.  Nō reira e ngā mate haere.  Haere ki ō tātou mātua tīpuna kei te pō.  Haere ki a rātou e kaingākautia nei e koutou.  Waiho mātou ō koutou mōrehu ki a mātou.  Nō reira haere atu rā.  Ki a tātou te hunga ora, tēnā tātou.

I have never taken kindly to being bullied, I have always gone into box for the little guy and I have always been an advocate for those less confident to speak for themselves.  Please feel free to use any of the above communication options should you need to contact me.

Noho ora mai rā

James

Academic Advisor (Māori), Student Support Services

Whitireia Community Polytechnic

[/toggle_container]

Ngā Tumu Āwhina

Dr Margaret Taurere

Dr Margaret Taurere

margaret taurereThe University of Auckland, Māori Studies Department, Private Bag 92019
09 923-7311 | 021 208-4103 | m.taurere@auckland.ac.nz

Ko Tītīrangi te maunga
Ko Uawa te awa
Ko Hauiti te marae
Ko Ngāti Porou te iwi

Ko Maungapiko te maunga
Ko Pārengarenga te moana
Ko Ngāti Kurī te iwi
Ko Margaret Taurere ahau

I am Pou Arahi/Senior Māori Advisor in the Equity office at the University of Auckland. I joined the union when I began my first job and have been a union member ever since. My aim with the TEU is to seek recognition for the work Māori staff members do for their institutions because they are Māori. Over the next two years I would like to gain acknowledgement from our employers by publishing a paper about the work of Māori staff.

Margaret Taurere
Te Toi Ahurangi
Te Tumu Awhina

Ngaroma Williams

Ngaroma Williams

Ngaroma Williams

NZCA Te Tari Puna o Aotearoa, Ōtautahi Teaching Base, PO Box 80086
Riccarton, CHC 8440 | 03 341 3189 | ngaroma.williams@nzca.ac.nz

Tēnā koutou katoa
Ko Te Arawa te waka
Tamatekapua te tupuna
Ko Te Arawa te iwi
E haruru nei te whenua
mai Maketū ki Tongariro
Tū ana au ki runga taku taumata
Ka titiro whakararo ki ngā iwi
Nō reira tēnā rā tātou katoa

Ko Ngaroma Williams tēnei ka tuku atu he mihi maioha ki a tātou.

I have been involved with union mahi for the past 10-11 years.  My roles included being our Te Uepū representative for my Private Tertiary Education provider Te Tari Puna Ora o Aotearoa, NZ Childcare Association way back in 2001 and for the past three years holding the role of Te Tumu Āwhina for Te Hautū Kahurangi o Aotearoa.

I am the Academic Leader for our Bachelor of Teaching ECE programme in which I thoroughly enjoy developing bicultural curriculum that has meaningful applications for our profession in relation to kaupapa Māori content.  I am also a Senior Pouako for our organisation and this allows me to implement curriculum and engage with our teaching staff and tauira, this part of my mahi I find very satisfying and rewarding.

My passion within the union lies with being:

1. He māngai Māori, a very passionate advocate for Māori education – which allows me to critique/debate processes, policies and structures of our union to ensure these support te katoa o tātou.
  2. Advising and supporting our Māori membership of union mahi and advising our members of the political, industrial, education and economical issues that are continually challenging us within our workplaces.
  3. Ensuring that our voice is heard, our aspirations are realities. These are philosophical principles that drive me in my interactions and engagements with all people and places.

Nō reira e hoa mā he wahine pono ki te kaupapa mō tātou katoa.

Ngā manaakitanga

Ngaroma Williams

[/toggle_container]

Sector group representatives

Tania Loughlin (general staff)

Tania Loughlin

Tania-Loughlin

021 065-0204 | tania_loughlin@yahoo.com

Kia ora koutou

Ko Ngāti Tūwharetoa te iwi

Ko Ngāti Runga Te Rangi te hapū

Ko Te Rangiita te marae

Ko Te Heu Heu te tangata

Ko Tania Loughlin tōku ingoa

I worked at Victoria University of Wellington in the Faculty of Commerce, and am a keen advocate for tauira and kaimahi Māori in the workplace.

I have been on this kōmiti since 2010 as a voice for all Māori general staff members across the tertiary education sector.

My aim for the two-year term is to assist with increasing union membership within the tertiary sector because the more people who join Te Hautū Kahurangi o Aotearoa, the stronger the union and the better off te uepū members are.

My support for kaimahi Māori at tertiary level is to manage a seamless process of all communication to and from all te uepū general staff.

Anei he whakataukī hei kōrero whakamutunga māku – “ko tōu rourou, ko tōku rourou, ka ora ai te iwi”.

Ngā mihi nui ki a koutou

Tania Loughlin

Bill Rogers (academic staff)

Bill Rogers

bill rogersNorthTec, Private Bag 9019, Whangārei 0148
0800 808 856 x3925/ 027 273-6601 | brogers@northtec.ac.nz

Ko William (Bill) Rogers toku ingoa

Ko Rangimārie te marae i Matawaia

Ko Hikurangi te maunga

Ko Te Raparapa te awa

Ko Hineamaru te tupuna

Ko Ngāti Hine te hapū

Ko Ngāpuhi-Nui-Tonu te iwi.

I am committed to maintaining and improving our work conditions.

My roles within TEU have included:

• NorthTec Branch Committee Te Uepū representative
  • NorthTec Branch Committee executive member
  • Te Toi Ahurangi 2011-12 (and formerly Te Rōpū Whakaū in ASTE)
  • ITP Sector Group Māori Academic Representative 2011-12
  • Te Hau Tikanga o Te Tiriti (Tiriti Partnership Group) 2011-12

I am an experienced professional educator:

• recipient of the NorthTec 2008 Sustained Excellence in Teaching
  • twelve years employment as an Architectural Tutor on the National Diploma in Architectural Technology at NorthTec
  • Registered architect

Hei konā nā

Bill Rogers

Naumai Edwards (general staff)

Naumai Edwards

Naumai Edwards, Te Kura Matatini o Taranaki, Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki (WITT)

Private Bag 2030, New Plymouth 4620 | 0800 948-896 | 021 183-0640 | n.williams@witt.ac.nz

Tēnā koutou

Ko Taranaki te maunga

Ko Ngāti Ruanui, Ngā Ruahinerangi, me Taranaki ngā iwi

Ko Ngārongo, Oeo, me Orimupiko ngā pā

Currently I am working 0.5 Kaiwhakaako and 0.5 Kaiwhakahaere Hōtaka (Programme Administration) for Te Kura Matatini o Taranaki at WITT working alongside colleagues which I consider to be experts in their own right, whether it is Te Reo Māori, performing arts, or management.

I have been on Te Toi Ahurangi for a couple of years now and am quietly passionate about promoting tikanga and education to and for our iwi Māori as well as being a support person for them within the tertiary education sector.

The kōmiti is a positive group who always look for new and innovative ways in which to assist, support, and promote Māori education and Māori as a whole.

Kia ora mai rā anō

Naumai

Susan Watene (Te Kahurangi Māraikura)

Susan Wātene

susan wateneUnitec, Foundation Studies, Private Bag 92025, Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142 | 09 815-4321 x8842 | 021 155-2219 | swatene@unitec.ac.nz

Miriama Postlethwaite (academic staff)

Miriama Postlethwaite

miriama postlewaiteTe Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi, PO Box 1006, Whakatāne 3158
07 307-1467 | 027 568 4218 | miriama.postlethwaite@wananga.ac.nz

Ngā mihi o te wā

To all the Māori members of Te Hautū Kahurangi o Aotearoa (TEU) at Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi and throughout the motu.  My name is Miriama Postlethwaite and I am the Whare Wānanga representative on Te Toi Ahurangi.  This rōpū is the national Māori rūnanga of TEU and represents the interests of tāngata whenua; it provides advice to the TEU council, and annual conference on issues of importance to Māori.  It also organises Māori members at local level.

My interests lie in the area of creating and maintaining safe working environments, so if you have any ideas, or have concerns, or just want to chat about your collective agreement, I’m available to kōrero.

Ngā mihi

Miriama Postlethwaite

Awanuiārangi representative on Te Toi Ahurangi and University Sector Group

Shirley Barnett (Academic staff)

Shirley Barnett

Shirley-BarnettMassey University

Te Kunenga ki Pūrehuroa, School of Management

Private Bag 11-222, Palmerston North | s.j.barnett@massey.ac.nz |(06) 356 9099 x 2770

Ko Shirley tōku ingoa

Ko Tongariro te maunga

Ko Taupo te moana

Ko Tuwharetoa te iwi

Ko TeHeuHeu te tangata

Ko Ngāti Hikairo raua ko Ngāti Karauia ōku hapū

No Tokaanu ahau

I am one of the four voices on Te Toi Ahurangi for Māori academic staff in the tertiary education sector.  Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any views, ideas, and issues that are of academic interest or concern to you.  I am happy to talk to you on a one-on-one basis and can present issues at a national level if this is appropriate.

I am a lecturer at Massey University (Palmerston North) and teach human resource management papers in the School of Management.  I enjoy teaching these papers and enjoy working with students both internal and at a distance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dr Shirley Barnett

Te Toi Ahurangi Māori Academic Rep

Parearau Nikora (Academic staff)

Parearau Nikora

Parearau-NikoraTe Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi,

PO Box 1006, Whakatāne 3158, 07 306-3287 | 027 919-5686 | parearau.nikora@wananga.ac.nz

Ko Mātaatua te waka

Ko Tūhoe te iwi

Ko Ngāti Rongo te hapū

Ko Taiarahia te maunga

Ko Ōhinemataroa te awa

Ko Tamahore te tipuna

I tautoko the concept of enhancing and highlighting education tikanga and te reo Māori within the tertiary sector learning environment.

E ai ki tā Tā Apirana Ngata, “ko tō ngākau ki ngā taonga ā ō tīpuna, hei tiketike mō tō māhunga – your heart devoted to the treasures of your ancestors, as a plume upon your head”.

I am one of three Academic Student Support Advisors for the Awhi Tauira Team at Te Whare Wānanga ō Awanuiārangi – indigenous university in Whakatāne.  For the past five years I have been instrumental in assisting tauira, across all programmes, in their academic studies.

I view my role on Te Toi Ahurangi committee as being a committed supporter and kaiārahi of any kaupapa that may have a positive impact on our te uepū members and regard ‘whakawhanaungatanga’ as an important ‘āhua’ to promote as a communicative vehicle within the realm of our union mahi.

Nāku iti noa

Pareārau Nīkora

Terēhia Newton (General staff)

Terēhia Newton

Terehia-Newton-and-Dr-Te-Huirangi-WaikerepuruTerēhia Newton, WITT

Private Bag 2030, New Plymouth 4620 | 0800 948-896 | 027 938-4978 | t.newton@witt.ac.nz

Ko Kakepuku te maunga

Ko Raukawa me Maniapoto ngā iwi

Ko Parawera te marae

I am excited and passionate about promoting tikanga and education to and for our Māori people within the tertiary education sector.

I am the Tumu Paetaki Tuarua (Associate Head of School) for Te Kura Matatini o Taranaki (Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki) working with kaimahi who I consider to be experts in their respective disciplines of te reo Māori and Māori performing arts.

I look forward to developing positive working relationships with those whom I sit alongside of on this kōmiti.

Ngā mihi

Terēhia

Ria Waikerepuru  (Wānanga representative)

Ria Waikerepuru

Ria-WaikerepuruTe Wānanga o Aotearoa, Hokowhitu Campus

PO Box 5616, Terrace End, Palmerston North 4441

06 351 0515 | 027 205 2776 | Ria.Waikerepuru@clear.net.nz

Ko Taranaki te maunga

Ko Tangahoe te awa

Ko Hāmua, ko Hāpotiki, ko Ngāti Tūpaia ngā hapū

Ko Ngāti Ruanui / Tangahoe te iwi

Ko Taiporohenui te marae

Ko Ria Wihapi Waikerepuru taku ingoa

I volunteered to be on this kōmiti to provide a voice and representation for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa staff who choose TEU as their preferred union.  I also see it as an opportunity to better equip, protect, and to up skill kaimahi and myself to endure the ever changing working environment of the tertiary sector.

My plans for the 2013-2014 term on this kōmiti is to awhi the kaimahi at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and tautoko the many different kaupapa within TEU.

This is my fourth year as a raranga tutor at Te Wananga o Aotearoa, in Papaiōea (Palmerston North).  For the 2013 year I am teaching L4, or the first year raranga programme, which consists of 6 academic papers.  I walk with the tauira as they journey through the various aspects of learning and teaching of mahi raranga – the art of weaving.  I am also undertaking post graduate museum studies at Massey university.

Ngā mihi

Ria

Vanessa Kupenga

Vanessa Kupenga

Tairāwhiti REAP, PO Box 859, Gisborne 4040, 06 868 4186, 021 247 7230, vanessa.eastcoast@tairawhitireap.org.nz

[/toggle_container]